1. Locate a Tax Professional
2. Get Organized - Request or obtain a tax organizer from your tax professional to help organize your receipts for the 2016 filing season.
3. Charity - If you plan on making a charitable contribution, be sure to give to an qualified 501(c)(3) on or before December 31, 2016 and obtain a donation letter.
4. Major life changes - Notify your tax professional of any major life changes such as getting married, having children, moving for a job, purchasing a house or going back to school. These are a few of the major life changes that can impact your tax filing status, allowable deductions, and tax credits for which you may qualify.
5. Retirement - Talk to a tax professional about your retirements plans as you may want to consider contributing to an IRA or adjusting your contributions to a 401(k).